Preparation Time:- 30 minutes (When the Dabeli Masala powder is ready)
Serves:- 8 to 10 people
Dabeli or Kutchi Dabeli or Kachchhi Dabeli is a snack of western India, originating in the Kutch or Kachchh region of Gujarat. It is a spicy snack made by mixing boiled potatoes with a Dabeli Masala, and putting the mixture between Burger bun. Served with chutneys made from tamarind, date, garlic, red-chillies, etc. and garnished with pomegranate and roasted peanuts. My friends like the Dabeli the way I prepare. So here is the recipe with love for all my friends who have inspired me to post this recipe on my blog.
Ingredients For Potato mixture :-
1) Medium sized Burger buns 12 to 14 Numbers
(OR more depending upon the quantity of stuffing masala you use.)
2) Medium size Potatoes Boiled and mashed 6 numbers
3) Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
4) Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
5) Dabeli Masala powder 3 tablespoons ( I prepared my own masala; you can use ready-made masala also. 'Kepra' dabeli masala is really good. I have linked the Dabeli masala powder recipe here.)
6) Red chili powder 1/2 tea spoon
7) Garam Masala 1 teaspoon ( If using homemade dabeli masala)
8) Oil 3 to 4 tablespoons
9) Lemon juice 3 tablespoons
10) Sugar 3 tablespoons
11) Salt as per taste or 2 tea spoon ( I have used table salt which is medium salty)
Ingredients For Decoration and flavor:-
(Quantity of these ingredients depend on the individual use so adjust accordingly)
12) Fresh Pomegranate kernels 1/2 Cup
13) Grapes cut in halves 1 cup
14) Fresh coriander finely chopped 5 to 7 strands
15) Unsalted butter 1/2 cube from 150 gm butter cube
16) Medium size Red onion Finely Chopped 1 numbers
17) Fine Sev or Nylon Sev as required or approx. 1/2 cup
18)Chili peanuts 1/2 cup
(Peanuts roasted in 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkled with 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt)
Sauces or Chatanis Required:-
1) Tamarind chutney 1/2 cup
2) Garlic Chutney 1/4 cup(click the link for the garlic chutney powder recipe)
Method For making Stuffing/Filling:-
1) Heat oil in a deep pan or kadhai, fry ginger and garlic paste just for 2 to 3 seconds
2) Add in Dabeli masala, red chili powder and salt,mix for 2 seconds (don't leave the pan unattended this time, otherwise the dabeli masala will burn) turn off the heat
3) In a small bowl mix lemon juice and sugar and add that to the pan,mix well,add in mashed potatoes,mix well.
4) After this, add 1 tablespoon of tamarind and dates chutney and adjust the salt , lemon and sugar so that the
masala tastes sweet and sour (Chat pata). Turn on the pan and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
The stuffing masala is ready.
Method For How to serve:-
1) Dilute the Garlic Chutney powder by adding 1 tablespoon of water into it
and mix it to form a medium thin paste texture
2) Slit the Burger buns into 2 halves (do not cut completely just slit in 2 halves),spread 1/2 teaspoon of
Garlic chutney ,on top of it spread tamarind chutney minimum 1 tea spoon. (You can change the proportion of these sauces or chatni according to your taste. In my home spicy taste is preferred)
3) Place the Potato masala mixture in between the two burger bun halves
4) On top of it place nylon sev 1 and 1/2 teaspoon or more as you would like.
5) And then Pomegranate , Peanuts and coriander.
6) Heat the griddle or pan and when it is hot enough add a small piece of butter and roast the stuffed Dabeli / Burger buns till it becomes pink golden.
The Dabeli is ready
( For any questions please refer the pictures . Or post comment, will try to help as soon as i can)