This recipe contains fried crispy Bhindi in dahi,cashew gravy, South indian style,very yummy very easy. This recipe is passed around to me from one of my best friend . First i tried this recipe for one of my other best friend :) on her farewell dinner, She loved it very much. And have prepared third time in my friends potluck and everybody want me to share this recipe with them And my husband loves it too,so now this is one of the routine recipe in my kitchen. A big thanks to my friend for passing this wonderful recipe to me.Must try it and please don't forget to share your experiences with me through comments. So here is the recipe for my friends.
1) Bhindi/Okra 250 gm to 300 gm
2) Medium size onions 2 nos.(Finely chopped)
3) Small size tomatoes 2 nos.( Pureed)
4) Cashews 10 to 15 nos.( Soaked in water for 2 to 3 hours)
5) Ginger paste/finely grated 1 teaspoon
6) Garlic Paste/finely grated 1 teaspoon
7) Yogurt 1/2 cup
8) Fresh Cream 1 tablespoon ( Optional)
9) Dry grated/desiccated coconut 2 tablespoons
10) Urad dal/black gram 1 tea spoon ( I used the one without skin)
11) Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
12) Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
13) Garam masala 1 teaspoon
14) Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
15) Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
16) Whole red chilies 2 to 4 nos.
17) Water 1/2 cup
18) Oil 7 to 8 tablespoons
19) Oil for frying bhindi
1) Heat oil in a kadai/pan,add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,allow them to sizzle
2) Add in curry leaves,urad dal stir well for 2 seconds
3) Add in chopped onions,cook till golden brown
4) Add red chili powder give it a stir and add in tomato puree
5) By the time tomato puree gets cooked, grind together soaked cashews and coconut to a smooth paste
6) When the oil starts to separate,add in garam masala turmeric powder and the coconut cashew paste.
7) Mix well and cook for 3 minutes, add in salt.
8) Beat the yogurt to a smooth consistency,turn off the heat, add the yogurt,mix well
9) Turn on the heat on low flame and add in water in small amount as required .( The water needed is depends upon the yogurt consistency,so be careful while adding the water into it.)
11) And cook for 3 minutes. The gravy is ready
12) Wash and pat dry bhindi and Cut it in two parts or you can cut it in two halfs (Refer the picture)or you can use the whole bhindi ,as you prefer.
13) Heat oil in a kadhai pan , add the bhindi one by one and fry till golden brown,do not burn.and remove on the paper towel.
14) And add it to the gravy.
15) lastly fry the red chilies and add to the gravy.(Instead You can add the red chilies at the beginning before adding the chopped onions in to the oil )
16) Dahi Bhindi is ready, serve with chapati or rice. Enjoy!..